Tuesday, November 29, 2011

28 weeks: Giving Thanks

Harper & Gus @ the Twilight premier!


Alpha Mom reports...

Your Baby:
  • Continues to get a longer and fatter by the day. Shocking, I know. His or her weight has actually doubled in the past month alone, which is why you’ve probably gotten comments about “popping” recently.
  • Weight is around 2.5 pounds right now, which (if you’re like me, gazing in horror and your inside-out belly button and spidery stretch marks) might sound a little frightening, since the baby clearly needs to gain a LOT MORE WEIGHT before he or she is fully cooked, and oh my God, how in the world is anything bigger going to fit in there?
You:
  • Are either feeling like this pregnancy will NEVER end, or that 12 more weeks is simply not nearly enough time to prepare. Or you might feel both ways, changing your mind one minute to the next.
  • Must move furniture and fold clothes and organize the linen closet and replace the bathroom vanity and finally get rid of that sooty stain on the marble fireplace and yes, DARLING, these are all essential tasks that MUST be completed before the baby gets here, DO NOT ARGUE WITH ME, NOW GO HANG UP SOME SHELVES.
...Ha! so I guess that nesting instinct I was talking about last week is par for the course.

and Kelle strkes again (she should start paying me as a sponsor...just sayin'). in this post, she talks about raising her daughters to be genuinely THANKFUL.


What does it mean to be thankful though? If it were as easy as asking my child to scribble some words on a thank-you card, I'd stock up on stationery and tuck "grateful child" under my belt of parenting successes. Gratitude is abstract--a more difficult word to define to a child than a simple noun that accompanies a colorful picture on a flash card.


I am happiest when I am most grateful--when I am aware of my surroundings and what exactly it is about this very moment that makes me feel content. Sending a thank-you card might encourage me to express gratitude to someone else, but really? Gratitude is a way of life rather than a lesson on a check-off list of attributes we hope our children will acquire. And the best way to teach it to your children is to live it.


If I asked Lainey to explain gratitude, she'd be stumped. But if I asked her to tell me what her favorite thing about today was, she'd pause and smile while she thought, and then she might begin by describing how cold the ocean was when she stepped past the foamy line that married sand with sea.


I'd listen while her memory unleashed, and I'd smile when it detoured to related stories of what we experienced today--how her friend made her laugh, how the watermelon at lunch tasted so sweet, how the shells we found today were prettier than usual--iridescent and fully intact.


And I think that's what gratitude really is--recognizing every bit of wonder in our surroundings, from the seagulls that swoop in the background at the beach to the extra sprinkles that are generously spooned on scoops of vanilla when we venture out for ice cream.

amen.

that's what i want for Harper...for her to grow to be appreciative, to be happy, to be grateful.

2 big things this week...the Twilight premier (as evidenced above) & THANKSGIVING! we had a nice, low-key turkey day spent with family & delicious food (of course).

With the extra down time, I got all crafty...hey it's the closest thing I can get to that "nesting" stuff right now!

heart shaped cinnamon rolls a la pinterest
(just practicing for fun holiday/birthday breakfasts!)
pennant banner for Harper's nursery
(although after we got the bedding in, I realized the pink is WAY off...
oh well, cute anyway!)

cute little hershey kiss acorns
In preparation for a cute little baby in our home, we invested in a new camera (LOVE!!!!) so we've had fun taking pictures of our cute little kids we have now :)

miss maggie may
jackson brown...he clearly was not as excited about the game as I was!
what a bitter sweet victory....the UT/A&M game has been an important tradition shared on Thanksgiving for....well....all my life. so sad to see it go.  
~Here's to celebrating gratitude & practicing it on a daily basis~
xoxo,
K & Harper

No comments:

Post a Comment