Friday, November 4, 2011

24 weeks: wogging right along...


25 weeks with my beautiful cousin, Joan
(missed a 24 week photo opp...but it's an early 25 weeks so I'll take it)

so what's up this week, Alpha Mom?
Your Baby:
  • Is just about a foot long now. I believe it is a tradition to consume a foot-long sub sandwich or hot dog in your baby’s honor at this point. I also believe I just made that up.
  • Is still very skinny looking, with translucent skin, but this will all start changing soon.
  • Is officially at the edge of viability, and most hospitals would automatically attempt every possible life-saving option if your baby were to be born now.
You:
  • Will undergo the glucose screening test at some point between now and 30 weeks to check for gestational diabetes. It’s done at a routine prenatal visit and involves chugging down an incredibly sickly-sweet beverage. Then you wait an hour and give a blood sample. And then you get someone else to drive your ass home, because you will be 1) passed out cold from a sugar crash or 2) howling in pain from a headache or 3) both. I brought a book to pass the time but fell asleep 20 minutes after the shot of sugar and woke up drooling on my husband, and I felt like crap for hours afterwards. But I passed! (A positive screen does not necessarily mean you have GD; it just means you have to get a whole OTHER, more-monitored test.)
  • Are probably noticing more aches and pains as we come to the final couple weeks of the second trimester, particularly in your lower back, hips and other joints.
  • Sciatica! Eeeeeeeeeee! Stopit!
Yup...sounds about right. Although I feel like I'm getting bigger by the MOMENT, I can't believe she's a FOOT long! We can definitely feel her kicks from the outside now and you can see them too which is funny.

Running & certain kicks in kickboxing are starting to get pretty uncomfortable for obvious reasons:

My hips get pretty sore when I run, which I would assume is normal. But I'm sad to report my running days may be numbered until February because each time I go out for a run, the more uncomfortable it gets. Plus my running has turned more into wogging (waddle/jogging as my friend Lynsi calls it) to compensate for said sore hips and a growing little girl. I'll keep it up as long as I can but I'm grateful for spin class and the elliptical because those seem to give me no trouble at all.

On Friday, I took the dreaded glucose test. For whatever reason, I was stressing this one BIG time! And of course, being a Friday, I had to wait until Tuesday afternoon for the results! Ugh. Silver lining? the test was done just in time for me to be able to have a big ol' slice of wedding cake on Saturday ;)


The drink wasn't nearly as bad as people describe it....there was no puking or fainting that some people warn you about...not even close. The first few sips I thought were actually pretty tasty! But that much sugar on an empty stomach was blech about 15 minutes into the test. Not a big deal though...


Saturday we enjoyed a wonderful wedding reception to celebrate Joan & Travis's wedding. It was great to see some family and catch up & the food was SO GOOD (priorities...).



what a ham.

don't see these guys NEARLY enough

So another great week flies on by...week 25 was a big one. I'm sure you're chomping at the bit to see how my glucose screening test went. Plus....we've picked a name!! stay tuned :)

Love,
K & baby

1 comment:

  1. Uhhh yes, I'm chomping at the bit and you are not on gmail for me to give you a hard time about not telling me... uh, I mean us!!

    ReplyDelete